Category Archives: Community

Happy blog birthday!

A year ago, I gave birth. Not to a baby—at least not the kind that squeals and squirms and grows to need braces, a room in the house you avoid at all costs, and a college fund. A year ago … Continue reading

Posted in Community, Family and friends | Leave a comment

Hoppin’ down the muddy trail

Take ten miles of soggy Bemis track oozing along the cutoffs and swamp lands of lower Mooselookmeguntic Lake. Add about three more miles of private dirt road snaking up the shore still shadowed by snow banks. Mix in plenty of early spring snow. Freeze, melt, rechill and thaw until … Continue reading

Posted in Community, Seasonal celebrations and observations | Tagged | Leave a comment

Signs of spring

When the phone rang the other day, my heart did its little “Ooooh…somebody’s checking in on us!” dance and my feet had to join in to carry me to the other end of the house by the third ring. Caller … Continue reading

Posted in Community, Family and friends, Seasonal celebrations and observations | Tagged | 2 Comments

The cooking of Joy

Hog in a Quilt. Sex in a Pan. Marinated Chicken Boobs. With menu items like these coming out of my kitchen, it’s no surprise I’m not being featured in any community cookbooks. Good thing, though, because I stopped saving recipes in the … Continue reading

Posted in Community, Family and friends | Tagged | 1 Comment

Snow daze

“Gee,  wouldn’t it be kinda cool to see how high the snow is around camp now?” Back when I relied on folklore and friends who visited Rangeley more than I in the winter, I heard tales of drifts piling up to the windowsills. … Continue reading

Posted in Community, Seasonal celebrations and observations | Tagged | Leave a comment

Yankee swappin’

Yankee: (adjective) of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a northern native. Swap: (noun) an exchange or barter, typically involving bargaining. Used in a sentence: “Everyone had a wicked fun time at the Yankee swap over in Oquossoc the other night.” … Continue reading

Posted in Community, Seasonal celebrations and observations | Tagged , | 2 Comments

Any given Saturday

I was browsing the greeting cards at a local gift store recently when the announcement was made: “Oh….it’s Saturday!” It came from a woman standing in between the complimentary coffee carafe and the cash register. Her tone was not one of dismay or panic, but … Continue reading

Posted in Community | Tagged | 6 Comments

Finding community

Isolation, we’re figuring out, is more a state of mind than a geographical predicament. It is a valid concern, though, voiced regularly by those closer to bigger lights and brighter cities. “What do you expect to do all by yourselves way out … Continue reading

Posted in Community | Tagged | 2 Comments